Because hydrating, proper nutrition and rest are important, but so is remembering why you started and enjoying the moment!
We recently asked our FFCrew ladies – a community of women runners from all over the country and world – what they would tell a woman who is running her first-ever race. Our FFCrew is made of new and veteran runners, back of the packers and podium regulars, 5K’ers and Ironman finishers, fast and fierce and slow and steady. While there is no shortage of expert tips out there, our FFCrew reminds women to enjoy the journey, purpose and meaning behind their miles. The nerves and anxious feelings can sometimes crowd out the bigger reasons why you are out there. If you have a first race coming up, take a deep breath and read all these empowering reminders. If you are supporting a friend who is about to take on her first race, now you have the perfect inspiring message to send her the night before the race!
Here are your 20 empowering tips to get you through race day:
- Just have fun and smile! Wave to the crowd. High five the kids. Say thank you to the volunteers and police officers. Don’t worry too much about time or a PR it’s your first race…it will be a PR no matter what your time is!
- Your biggest challenge will be yourself!
- You have done the work, now take in the experience and enjoy the race. You will never have a “first” again.
- Enjoy, smile, and remember that each step is a gift and one to be cherished – even the tough ones!
- The goal should be to finish and be proud of yourself for signing up! The feeling of crossing the finish line is something no one can take away from you!
- Run your own race. Don’t worry about your position compared to other racers, they are also running their own race. Set mini goals when it gets tough, like running to the next streetlight or thinking about your turnover. Cross the finish line strong and smile, you made it!
- Just do it. Throw away the doubt, the self-sabotage, telling yourself that you can’t. Your body is capable of so much – trust and believe that you can do it, and you will.
- Just run like you love it, even in the moments that you don’t.
- ENJOY! Take your head out of it and ENJOY. Be fully present and LOOK UP, notice everything and everyone around you as you kick ass! Your body knows what to do – so SMILE and celebrate every mile!
- You only cross your first finish line one time, take it in! It’s a special experience and will be a special memory for you!
- Enjoy every step. Even the hard ones, because looking back you will realize how much each step meant to you along the way. Running changes you – get excited to to GROW!
- Enjoy the journey and start saving, racing is addicting!
- The first mile lies, but enjoy it – and the rest of the race!
- Cross the finish line with your hands in the air and a smile on your face!
- Smile. To yourself and to others around you. Say hi to the one running next to you. Positivity comes back tenfold!
- Your shorts ARE your underwear!
- Relish in the magic of race day; all who have prepared (or not), coming together as a united community, each running for their own reason, each having faced their own challenges, each giving it their best. Welcome to the awesomeness that exists in the running community! We are so happy to see you here!
- Enjoy the moment. You only get one first race! Until the next bigger goal you set for yourself!
- Cross the starting line and the finish line tall and proud. It takes so much courage to approach the starting line. Embrace that moment and then enjoy the journey. It’s your race at your pace. And once you finish, because you will, realize that the finish line is also a starting line for your next chapter.
- Your body is stronger than your mind!! Trust in your training, and make sure you enjoy every step!! Take it all in!! Don’t worry about your time, just run the mile you are in, and finish strong with a huge smile on your face!
- Enjoy all the energy from the race! The nerves, excitement, crowd, cheering, etc…you’ll find strength in them. Listen to your body and find your rhythm.
And your last tip? This one is from Mel & Tori…
When it gets tough – because no matter how well trained you are, it will get tough – remember why you started. Remember your purpose. Remember why you said yes to this journey. Remember what pushed you through all the workouts – even the ones that sucked and made you want to quit. Remember why you kept showing up and doing the work. Believe in you. And then keep putting one foot in front of the other and FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED!!!!!
P.S. Interested in joining our FFCrew? Get all the details here and connect with hundreds of other women runners from around the country and world!