Okay, we’re all smart women. We don’t want to waste our money on gadgets and gift cards if we don’t have to. We want our gifts to reflect the deep appreciation we have for our friendships, especially our most trusted girlfriends. We want to give. And we want to give with meaning. So, here’s our list of the favorite items we’ll be giving to our girlfriends this holiday season. From the heart, easy on the pocketbook and filled with gratitude. Enjoy!
1. Write her a love letter. When creating the Fellow Flowers website, we did the traditional ‘bio page’ a bit different. Instead of writing our own, we wrote each other’s. While it was challenging to distill our many years of friendship into words, it was one of the most amazing things to give…and receive. Tell your girlfriend why she’s amazing and strong. Highlight her fun quirks and hidden talents that you treasure. Tell her why the world is lucky that she’s here. Why this gift? Because we shouldn’t wait to tell our friends why they are so important to us – do it now. Visit our bio page to get some fun inspiration!
2. The Awesome 30. Find a small box, a glass jar or container that can hold about thirty small pieces of folded paper. On each slip of paper, write a quality, talent or something you secretly (and lovingly) envy about your girlfriend. ‘I envy your patience’ or ‘your laughter is contagious’ or ‘you are kind’ or maybe ‘no one rides a mechanical bull quite like you.’ (Sorry, inside joke.) Your friend can pull out one per day, one per week, whatever she chooses.
3. A Fellow Flower. Meaningful, budget-friendly, unique and unexpected. A simple gesture to let your girlfriend know you’re there for her – every step of the way. Whether it’s courage, gratitude, friendship, self-worth or dream chasing, you’ll be in it together. And, every flower comes with the 5×7 statement card, perfect for framing and displaying. Visit our Flower Shop to check out all ten colors and meanings. (And the award for best holiday gift-giver goes to…drum roll please…)
4. Race Registration Surprise. This might be our favorite gift idea (paired with #3 of course). It’s a goal wrapped up in a pretty little gift. Find a race – any race – and register the two of you for it. And when she opens her gift, looks at you with her ‘Are you freakin crazy’ face, you show her your registration and say, “Don’t worry, we’re in this together.”
5. The Girlfriend Getaway. Okay – this one takes a little more work. Unveil to your girlfriend that she will be joining you in Chicago this June for an amazing race weekend! In partnership with the Chicago Women’s Half Marathon, we’re planning a special weekend just for our Fellow Flowers. Details to come, but trust us, it’ll be awesome. It’s plenty of time to save, pack, train and get excited!!! Buy her the registration, cover the hotel, or heck, just tell her she’s going and it’s her present to you!
Happy Holidays. And remember, at the end of the day, your girlfriends don’t really need expensive or trendy gifts. They need you – your kindness, friendship and support. It’s as simple as showing up on her doorstep with a cup of coffee. Going for a run when you know she needs it. And telling her your life is better because she’s in it.
Mel & Tori